Friday, December 7, 2012

Here's a recipe for Beef Cabbage stew from one of my favorite cookbooks.
1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat cut into 1inch pieces
2 beef bouillon cubs (I use one large can low sodium beef broth)
1 cup hot water
1 large onion chopped
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
2 celery ribs sliced
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 large carrot sliced
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce (or I use 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes)


In a large saucepan or Dutch oven brown stew meat, drain.  Meanwhile dissolve bouillon cubes in water (or just use the canned broth), add to beef.  Add onion, pepper and bay leef.  Cover and simmer 1 1/4 hours or until tender.  Add potatoes, celery, cabbage and carrot.  Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are the way you like them (I don't like real tender vegetables).  Stir in tomato sauce and simmer about 10 minutes more.  Remove bayleaf before serving.  Serves 6-8

2 comments:

lemonverbenalady said...

I wish I could have tomato sauce. I can't. Looks like you have an anonymous comment you need to trash if you can, Peggy! Sending positive energy your way as always. xxoo Nancy

PeggyR said...

I have the comment moderator on as I have had to delete a couple of posts. Seems to happen around this time of year. "Friends" still feel free to comment and I will add your post...thanks...